Succcess Stories eNaira
Building the first CBDC in Africa
Objectives of eNaira
In driving this core objective, the eNaira will also deliver on key economic objectives of the CBN highlighted below whih will impact overall economic growth and that generate significant social and economic benefits for all Nigerians.
Deploying the eNaira
The CBN wanted the eNaira’s usability to be on par with advanced payment applications already in Nigeria. Value was to be the differentiator. Bitt worked directly with CBN to determine the ideal technology solutions to meet the functional, ethical, and monetary policy requirements for Nigeria’s use cases, scope, and other factors.
- CBN went through our product’s functionality, hosted in a sandbox environment, identified the key requirements that would be required for the initial launch, and started building a list of items to include in a roadmap.
- We defined the main configurable aspects of the solution, such as branding, wallet tiers, transaction alerting, onboarding flows for consumers and merchants.
- We implemented and configured the solution in CBN’s hosting environment.
- We worked with stakeholders, such as banks and the national payment system, to integrate the solution.
- We supported the CBN and stakeholders to mint their first eNaira, set-up banks and merchants.
- We conducted extensive testing, including a closed pilot with real users and stakeholders, prior to the launch event.
2021 - 2024 Milestones
OCTOBER 2021 – JANUARY 2022
- Banked customer onboarding
- eNaira Wallet cash-in/cash-out
- eNaira wallet to eNaira wallet transfer (P2P, P2B)
- Core Banking integration v1 - for Account to eNaira Wallet
FEBRUARY 2022 – AUGUST 2022
- Unbanked customer onboarding and transactions via USSD
- Integrations with the National Payment Service for QR functionality and wholesale funds transfer (RTGS)
- Onboarding of IMTOs and integration of DCMS to exchange naira
- Merchant onboarding and transactions
- Core banking integration optimization for financial institutions
- Multi-lingual support for mobile applications and USSD
- Onboarding of Wallet developers
- SMS integration with CBN’s SMS gateway service
- Security hardening
SEPTEMBER 2022 – JUNE 2023
- Onboarding of Nigerian Trade and Exchange platform
- Sector-specific tokens for grants and subsidies
- Custom smart contracts for eNaira payment scenarios
- Onboarding of revenue generating and disbursing MDAs such as NIMC, FIRS and MDAs
JULY 2023 - 2024
- Offline eNaira payments solution
- Integration with other CBDC systems
- Multi-Sig Wallets
- Bitt Develops Africa’s First CBDC Oct 25, 2021 Read Article
- Bitt Awarded CBDC Contract for Central Bank of Nigeria Aug 30, 2021 Read Article